Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Ghost River Full of Life

Isn’t it crazy how the LA River is so huge, yet forgotten about? You would think that everyone in LA is aware of its presence; it’s near the freeways and the City of Angels is full of them. However, I am guilty in being oblivious to its location, so much so that I got lost while driving to the FOLAR River Clean-Up. I ended up passing the river and going to Echo Park! I did not expect to find it where it was (almost hidden). Neither had I heard of the river prior to this course nor did I know that it was featured in various movies, which saddens me.

Going into this event on Saturday, I was prepared to see lots of trash near the river and was ready to collect as much of it as possible because that was what our engagement service was all about. Once there, I realized that the LA River was like a ghost; overlooked and taken for granted. I right away started to collect trash, which was easy to find in some parts yet more challenging in others. Scavenging for “special” trash was almost like Easter egg hunting. I was surprised by the great variety of trash that could be spotted, including headphones, clothing, food wrappers, Styrofoam, and even books. 

Contributing to FOLAR was a selfless act, and I really enjoyed seeing other people, young and old, of different schools and locations coming together for a common cause. It is important for community members to look after nature and keep rivers clean. This is what drove me to go back and collect a second bag of trash, despite the heat and dirt everywhere. Although the LA River may appear to be like a ghost river, it definitely is not. It is still full of life, wildlife, plants, ducks, birds, water, etc. I was able to record some ducks and birds in the water, which was such a pretty view unfortunately disrupted by the potentially harmful trash surrounding these innocent creatures. The experience was both eye-opening and inspirational. I will continue to do my part by picking up trash wherever it is I see it. I am glad that FOLAR is contributing to our environment, and I remain hopeful that this river will continue to be looked after because I am confident that there are still good people out there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment