Monday, April 30, 2018

L.A. River Clean-Up

This was both my very first river clean-up and my first time stepping foot in the L.A. River as opposed to traveling alongside it. Tons of people were there, so I felt like that helped a lot in the environmental difference that we were trying to make. Personally, I had a lot of fun with the river clean-up because not only was I performing a good civic service in my community, but I was also looking for trash that could be recycled as art or put together to make a work of art.
From this clean-up, I learned that the L.A. River holds more trash than I previously assumed and that a lot of homeless people live along the river or leave their past belongings in the river. I also came to understand the "river smell" that everyone was talking about because by the time that I had gotten home after the clean-up, I could smell it all over my clothes. Lastly, I learned that trash in the L.A. River will almost always be there, and even though we have these days where the community will reach out in a joined effort to remove that trash, it will most likely be replenished within the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment