Monday, January 25, 2016

Beach Clean Up

Hello, my name is Damian Ruiz and currently enrolled in Winter Quarter 2016 English 101.  I am a freshman at CSULA majoring in mechanical engineering.  On January 24, 2016, the majority of my class and I came together to participate in an event known as Heal the Bay at Dockweiler Beach.  As I joined a group to clean up the beach, I met some pretty chill people.  It was pretty cool picking up trash with people who want to make an impact to the world.  As we picked up trash on the shore, I noticed the amount of cigarette butts and straws that were found was insane.  I never seen that many cigarette butts and straws in a small portion of the area.  Meanwhile putting up the trash on the shore, the water would come close to the shore and take trash back to the ocean.  After seeing this is a major problem for the animals living in the ocean, I figure how people are lazy to walk up to the trashcan and toss their trash.  As I passed by a trashcan, I notice a lot of trash near the trashcan on the ground which showed me that some people are just lazy to pick it up and put it where it belongs.  Well it felt pretty great to make a small impact to the environment even though it was on a Sunday morning which was the worse part of the event.  This activity impact my life because I wanted to major in mechanical engineering to go in the field of automotive or aerospace and I feel like I can also make an impact to the environment not only by picking up trash, but going in the field of conserving energy and building machines to help the environment.

This is me just chilling at the beach after picking up trash on the shore.(seagull squad photobombing me)

The beautiful ocean view.
Done for the day and just waiting to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment