Monday, January 25, 2016

Heal the Bay

 

Hello, my name is Maria Barrera and I am currently enrolled in Winter Quarter English 101. I am currently a freshman attending CSULA. On January 24, 2016 we gathered at Dockweiler Beach to participate with Heal the Bay to help keep our beach clean. This experience was life changing because it made me aware of how much effect our trash can have on our beaches. The day consisted of cleaning up trash that was left behind by people on the beach. What I notice when I got to Dockweiler Beach was the amount of trash that was lying around. It was mostly plastic, straws, and bottle caps. Also, the water looked dirty in comparison to other beaches I have gone too. It’s a beautiful beach, especially because it has a lot of fire pits to do bonfires, you can also get a closer look at the airplanes departing from LAX, and parking is close. So, cleaning up the beach will just improve its beauty.  This activity relates to our class readings because we are learning about our environment, so what better way of learning this than at the beach.  Also, it just proved that we have to take care of our environment, because if we don’t we will have consequences throughout time. This activity was very helpful to me because it helped me get a better understanding of the readings we read about the environment during class, and also about the effect that will happen if we don’t take care of it. What I gain from this experience is that is important to keep our beaches clean because if we don’t clean up after ourselves the trash will end up in the ocean and the marine animals will eat it, and then it will affect us because we will no longer be able to eat seafood. So, this is just one example because this can also happen to other nature beauties like lakes, rivers etc… The life lesson I learned is that it’s important that we take care of our environment.


No comments:

Post a Comment