Monday, January 25, 2016

Dockweiler Beach Clean-Up


Hi, my name is Melanie Hernandez. I'm a freshman at CSULA and am enrolled in English 101. With my English class, I went to Dockweiler Beach on January 25th. To start off, it was nice to go to the beach again. It's the end of January, so it was a little cold but it was nice to see the ocean and waves again, because I haven't gone since summer. But, when I arrived to the beach, I noticed quite a bit of trash hidden in the sand. The things that were most common were plastic wrappers, bottle caps, and cigarette butts. The weirdest thing I saw was a Forever 21 bag, which was wet so the ocean must have brought it to the shore, so who knows how long that bag must've been floating around in the ocean? All these little pieces of trash may seem insignificant, but they take decades to decompose. I found some pieces of styrofoam cups, which unfortunately takes 500 years (or even never) to decompose. Same goes for plastic. Luckily, we were able to pick up a few scraps making at least a small change to the ocean's cleanliness. Lately I've been learning about the environment and things we can to do make a change so this activity tied in nicely with the topics we're discussing in class. I had never heard of Dockweiler Beach, but for my first time being there it seemed very nice. Often times we can take advantage of things like this, thinking if we throw a little piece of trash on the ground it won't make any difference. Chances are many many other people are thinking the same thing and in result leave a big impact of littering on the planet.  Overall I liked the experience because I was able to interact with people from class and go to the beach. I feel thankful to have had the chance to do something for the greater good of the environment, and hope I have the chance to participate in more things like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment