Tuesday, May 6, 2014

FoLAR Cleanup




Hi my name is Carmelo Avila, I am from Ximena Hernandez English 101 class. This past Saturday I went to clean up The Los Angeles River with my English class. I was so eager to get to Steelhead Park that I decided to get there a little bit earlier. I got to the site around 8:25 a.m., I started to help with setting up the items that we were going to use for cleaning the river; gloves, trash bags, sunscreen, water bottles, and the FoLAR signs. I just could not wait for my watch to hit 9 so we could start cleaning the river. I got more excited as I saw a lot of people of Cal State LA, but it was more exiting when I saw my classmates arrive. A professor told as that it would be better if we would do a group of 4 or more before going down the hill to start cleaning. My partners were Vanessa Acosta, Naomi Juarez, Brandon, and Steven. When we were going down hill, I was not expecting to find a lot of trash because from the top of hill all I saw were trees. When we started going in through the trees, I saw that I was completely wrong. The first trash that I picked was plastic bags that were stuck on the trees branches. All the plastic bags that were stuck on the trees amazed me, it looked like if they were adorn for Christmas or something. As we went deeper into the woods, I saw trash everywhere. Most of the trash that I picked up was plastic bags, chip bags, and plastic bottles. The most interesting part was when our group found a spot where it seemed that somebody was living there with their children. We found toys, balls, baby bottle, and a cartoon blanket. I bet they knew that we were going to clean the area and that is why they were not there. lol Through out the cleanup I felt proud of myself because I was helping clean the LA River. I felt that I was honored to be in an organization of group of people who care about something that I bet most people do not know about. The thing that shocks me the most is seeing all these kinds of trash alongside the river. I believe that the LA River is place of many habitats of different animals where it is there only place where they feel safe because of the trees. Now their surrounding are bombarded by tons of trash which it makes me think that some animals eat the trash and killing them by all the junk they have ate. The greatest part of the cleanup was when my friends and I found a clear view where we got to see the LA River going downstream. The sound of the water hitting the rocks made feel in a comfortable atmosphere. It makes me realize that there is nature in Los Angeles. I was so into the cleanup that it went by so fast, sadly the cleanup ended around 12 p.m. I wish the whole community of Los Angeles would make up some time to volunteer in the clean up and be part of this amazing experience. I was content at the end of the day because I felt like a hero cleaning our only place where LA people could experience nature. I just imagine the LA River without trash; it would be the most amazing place to visit. I like to thank my professor Ximena Hernandez for encouraging our class to be part of something very memorable and my classmates for being there making it a fun experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment