Wednesday, May 7, 2014

LA River Clean-Up (5/3/14)

Hi, I’m Samantha Lee, a student from Mrs. Hernandez’s English 101 class. May 3rd, that was the day of our LA River clean up with FOLAR. Waking up that morning, thinking oh man, such a hot day to help clean the river? But yeah, it was definitely worth the trip. In the beginning, we were asked to create a group. So I found my group consisting of 7 girls including me. At first, I didn't think there would be so much trash since there is always people cleaning it, but after the first 15 minutes, we already had half our bags filled up. My group hiked under tree barks and itchy leaves (stupid me, I wore shorts) so ants were all over my legs. We finally saw the water of the river. It was such a beautiful view. We found so many random things such as a large container, jump suit, water pipes, a toy for a baby crib, plastic bottles, aluminum cans, and tons of snacks bags. It was mostly all stuck to the trees or piled up with sands.
After an hour of picking up trash, we officially filled all our bags up. We brought back the bags to our first destination and rest. Of course, we had to keep ourselves hydrated. After resting up, the guy who were sorting the trash, asked for volunteers. So my group and I volunteered us to help sort the trash. It was crazy because it was really surprising what many interesting items people brought back such as shopping market carts, pillows, carpet, and many small pieces of plastic bags. It was ridiculous what people can throw in the river. I never thought I would be helping clean the river. It was an amazing experience.





No comments:

Post a Comment