Monday, May 5, 2014

LA River Clean Up Experience

Hello fellow classmates, my name are Brandon Herrerias and I attend the English 101 class with Professor Ximena at Cal State LA and had an amazing experience cleaning up the LA River on a beautiful Saturday morning. Despite the heat, my experience was one for the books. I was accompanied by my group members and we had a great time bonding. Trash varied from trash bags to gold balls and miscellaneous items. We found shopping carts and baby toys which was quite a concern on how exactly they got there. We had also seen some homeless people there which were a surprise because I was not expecting for people to be living in this area. The LA River is a beautiful sight and peaceful view to experience because we are all guilty of living in the city and not really getting the opportunity to enjoy what has been here for decades before us as humans arrived. The trash bags gave me the most concern because like in the reading on Impact Man, we have the choice between using plastic trash bags and taking our own reusable bag. Before this class, I had no idea that Los Angeles even had a river and that the river was heavily impacted by the trash we leave around the streets. It's a big change on my personal perspective on how I go about my trash and where I place it. I now realize that all these little wrappers I might leave around are actually ending up in the nature's rivers and environment. I am now more cautious about my trash and am careful. Every year I will be attending this for now on because I love doing good things for the better for our world.










No comments:

Post a Comment