Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Los Angeles River


Hello, my name is Nancy Hernandez, I am from Ximena Hernandez English 101 section 21 class and I participated in the LA River clean-up which was held by "Friends of Los Angeles River (FoLAR) this past Saturday. I went to Los Angeles River to collect as much trash as we can in the hours we had to stayed (9-12), I went with my classmates, and also my mom and boyfriend. It was a great experience being able to help our planet. I know it was only a few hours of collecting trash but if more people do it I am pretty sure the planet will noticed the difference. The trash that I collected the most was plastic bags that were stuck on the trees branches.  In ‘’No Impact Man’’ book Colin Beavan talked about plastic bags and how we have the option to take our reusable bag when we go grocery shopping, and in the event the FoLAR people gave us one. I thought it was kind of funny how there was shopping carts, and also how I found a bra. I just never thought how much trash we made. It was sad how nasty the LA River was and dry because we went to a place where there was no water. I was thinking the water was further, and some of my classmates actually walked more and saw a beautiful sight.  I saw some ducks but they flew away when I was getting closer to take a picture of them. To be honest I did not know Los Angeles has a river, until professor Hernandez told us. It was not my first time volunteering but I like doing this type of community service. Overall I liked this clean-up event, and I would go again if I have the opportunity.





No comments:

Post a Comment