Monday, May 5, 2014

What is up you guys. My name is Arturo Gutierrez and I am in Professor's Ximena Hernandez English 101 class. This past Saturday our class went to clean up the Los Angeles River with Friends of the Los Angeles River(Folar) organization. It was my first time at the Los Angeles River, and I thought it was amazing even though it was filled with trash. Before getting there I was expecting to see a river with concrete instead of grass and trees, but I was wrong. Steelhead park was really close, and I got there with no problem. The class was divided in groups of four. Folar also gave us a bag and gloves to pick up the trash. The trash that I saw and picked up the most were plastic bags. There was plastic bags on trees, on the ground, and the river; pretty much everywhere I turned there was plastic. My bag also consisted of clothes, a backpack, a CD played, Cds, and golf balls. I filled up my bag really fast, so I had to go for a second bag. Everybody in the class did a good job cleaning because it was really hard to find more trash. There was a group that found a shopping cart. It made me wonder how in the hell did they ended up there. Overall Saturday was great because it was not a normal day. What I am trying to say is that I interacted with nature that day. Yes, there is nature everywhere like parks and our backyards, but not as much nature as the Los Angeles river. There was a lot birds and a couple of dragonflies I thought that was cool. I am not going to lie I thought it was really fun even thought it was 1000 degrees Fahrenheit. That was only one section of the river and I want to do this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment