Wednesday, April 27, 2016





Hello, my name is Sarahi Herrera, student at Cal State LA. I am currently taking English 101 with professor Ximena Hernandez and this past Saturday, on April 23, 2016, I participated in the Folar clean up at the L.A. River with my class. I wasn't so excited at first about waking up early on a Saturday to go clean up. I didn't know what to expect when getting there. But as soon as I arrived with my classmate, we had no idea where to go, there was a few people that seemed like they were ready to do some work but I wasn't so sure. As more people started to arrive, I felt more comfortable. To see so many people show up to this Folar event made me happy that so many people actually care about the environment. From adults, kids, teenager and even elders. I found it amusing how from the way it looked when we started the cleanup to towards the end of it how much a difference we could make if more people get together like that often. 

It reminded me of one of the readings we did for the class, The Lorax by Dr. Suess. The fact that so many plants and animals are being endangered and not so many people make a difference. The fact that I picked up all kinds of trash such as bottles, chip bags, plastic bags, even clothing is insane. "UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, its not." a quote from Dr. Suess that I could completely relate to, because if it wasn't for those people who participated in this Folar clean up, how will it ever become a difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment