Monday, April 24, 2017

River Clean-up

Hello my name is Clarissa Ruelas and I'm currently enrolled in English 1005-B with professor Hernandez. This past Saturday, April 22, 2017, I was a part of the L.A River clean-up hosted by FOLAR, known as the Friends of the L.A. River. At first, I wasn't so happy to go to this event just because I had to wake up early on a Saturday, but it was definitely worth it. To start off, I want to say that it was amazing to see all the people, especially kids, attend this event. To be honest, I wasn't aware that we had a river in L.A. until professor Hernandez brought up the event.The L.A. river is beautiful, but consists of a lot of trash. The number one thing that I saw the most was plastic, food wrappers, and clothes. The clothes was tangled on trees, the plastic was literally everywhere, and the food wrappers were hidden under rocks. Most of the trash comes from people who liter, but the rest comes from land. The rain washes everything down to the sewer, and eventually gets to the river. But, despite of that issue, I was able to see nature in L.A.. For example, while I was walking through the rocks, I saw an isolated purple flower blooming (reminded me of the movie WALL-E). Moreover, I saw two ducks swimming in the river. So, I believe there is nature in L.A.and we can definitely contribute to better its view and environment. I was glad to help, I believe I made a difference. I definitely plan to go next time FOLAR helds another event.

No comments:

Post a Comment