Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Hi, my name is Jasmine Rivas and  I am currently attending CSULA. On April 18th I was apart of the L.A. river clean up (FOLAR event)! I must say that at first I wasn't sure if I wanted to be apart of the clean up but over all I had a good day. It went great and I was able to bond a bit with some of my classmates. I found a lot of plastic, clothes, food wrappers, and the majority of the trash was stuck between the trees and rocks. The L.A. River was not as I expected. I thought it was going to be a lot worse. Despite the trash their was trees and a lot more than I expected to see. It might not have been much but we still have something left and that's the reason why we should continue to participate in events like this. It was sad to see all the bags of trash, and how it all ends up at our river. I didn't see animals like I thought I would, but I did notice many individuals who were excited to be apart of this and actually care and it made me feel better about myself. I was apart of a good thing, for OUR environment. I must say I am glad I was apart of this and I'm glad that many people came together to help clean the river.

Looking back at the books we have read such as "The Lorax" by Dr.Seuss he wanted us to realize that we are leading our environment to an end if we do not do anything about it and by participating in the LA river clean up we are doing something about helping our environment. After reading the article "13 ways of seeing Nature in LA" by Jenny Price she states how we almost need special glasses to see the LA river healthy and verdant but I saw different. If we contribute to help as we did on Saturday we will see what is left of our river as healthy. We can make a change in our environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment