Monday, April 20, 2015

L.A River Experience

Hi my name is Samuel Mendoza. On Saturday April 18th, I went on a trip to the L.A River as part as my assignment for my English 101 class with Mrs. Ximena. I liked the activity I was in for many reasons. The main reason I enjoyed attending this trip was because I actually felt good doing something for my community. Cleaning the Los Angeles River was interesting after finding many different types of trash on the trees and under the rocks. One of the things that interesting was when I picked out a bright orange sign that said, "DANGER." I began to wonder about how this sign from perhaps construction workers got to this river. Another little trash I found and made me think deeply was finding a little noodle soup seasoning bag. I started to think more thoroughly on how all these pieces of trash got to this nice river with ducks and beautiful birds around it. I also saw what other people had got like rugs, market karts, and many others. I wasn't only disappointed on my  community but on myself too because I am part of the mess that ends up in the river by just throwing a little piece of receipt papers on the floor or anything at all. After picking up the trash I realized that it's not that difficult to just throw away trash in a trash can after using it. I realized that throwing trash on the floor can damage the natural habitats and nature itself. I've always known this but this action really opened up my eyes and see the mess we are doing to nature. The book I am reading for my class, No Impact Man, is all about not making a negative impact to the world but instead do positive actions like cleaning beaches, not using cars, not using energy, and abusing other natural resources. I am glad I can relate to this story by saying that I did something good, not only for the community but for the world, although it was a little bit. On top of cleaning the river, I got to meet people, learned about other actions I can do to help the community, and simply got burned by the sun. I had a great experience and I'm looking forward in going out and making a POSITIVE IMPACT on Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment