Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Let's keep helping our environment.

 Saturday, April 18th 2015, was a day to remember for two reasons. First of all, it was my first time visiting the Los Angeles River, and it was the first time I've seen a river that is mostly surrounded by concrete. When I think of a river I think of flowing water on streams, tall trees, green bushes and lots of river animals. When I arrived at the river at 8:30 I did not see much of this. As I looked down at the dry waterway of the river, I began to see all of the trash that was there, some even stuck in dry bushes and boulders.
About an hour later, the volunteers, including myself, commenced the LA. river cleanup.While picking up trash I realized that there was more stuck in the branches and rocks.Some of this trash was, plastic bags, I picked a shirt and pants, carton, along with other plastic waste. They all seemed  to be everywhere. This made me think about how much trash people just don't properly dispose of. It is not a pretty sight to see, but then I stood there for a second and envisioned of the awesome and beautiful place the L.A. river can be if we just take care of it.
As the cleanup concluded I saw the brighter side of the river.It was a more lively side of the river, from what I could see, I saw lots of ducks and birds. It made me think about all the people who actually take action and do something to help the environment like the FOLAR volunteers.
I understand that the Los Angeles River used to look much different, and because of lack of water and pollution, it has to turned into an unknown place to many people. While some people still appreciate the nature of the river, I believe it can be transformed for the better. It would be great to see the river transformed into a fascinating place, a greener, more lively and intriguing place. It would be a while before this could happen, but until then my goal is to do my part and help clean up the river when I can as well as inform others about what they can do. And that's what I learned that day, that the L.A. river can be all these things but in order for that to happen people must show that they care about the river and are willing to do anything to save and protect it. If we take care of our river and clean up after ourselves, I'm sure the river can be a far more beautiful place to visit
 



No comments:

Post a Comment