Wednesday, October 23, 2013

(Ms.Hernandez) Heal the Bay-Dockweiler Beach

October 20, 2013
Heal The Bay🌊~Beach Clean-Up

  The breeze felt cold against my skin when I got off the car. I had never participated on a beach clean-up so I was really looking forward to the experience. I had came to Dockweiler Beach every now and then, but never really looked or realized how much trash one can find when you're actually trying to see what is right in front of your eyes!

  I was astonished when we found this gap between the hill we climbed, it resembled a sewers. However, I was very unsure of what it was. Inside was so much trash! It made me feel so bad for all the living things on this Earth. My group and I, tried but could not get the trash inside there because it looked pretty dangerous to try and reach out and grab it. But, we picked up the trash around there and we found so many things. Plastic bags, Styrofoam cups, plastic cups, bottle caps, etc. The trash just kept piling up.

  Later on, I found out that the time we spent cleaning really does make a huge difference. I learned new things about how birds get affected when they eat plastic. Did you know, that when a bird eats the trash we leave behind there stomach tells them they aren't hungry? This leads them to believe that they have full bellies, because they aren't able to digest plastic. Later, this becomes the reason they are faced with malnutrition, and eventually die. We really need to be more conscious of how animals get hurt, and try to make this world a better place.

Overall, I really enjoyed taking away a few hours of my beauty sleep to go, and clean the beach. It was a great experience, and I met really nice people. I do see myself volunteering more often for such a great cause! 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment